DRAKKAR PRODUCTIONS Forum

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

CENDRES- Ungeziefer demok7

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dead Man
Soldier

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2006-03-22

PostSubject: CENDRES- Ungeziefer demok7   Sat 17 Oct - 16:05

Taken from http://www.archaic-magazine.com/

Lurking out of sight and out of mind, this depressive Black Metal release from the Frenchmen calling themselves Cendres is as grim as they go. Murky, drawn out, and rawer than an uncooked steak, the whole ride begins with the scary “Alienation,” whose subdued nature makes your skin cold (pun intended for Satyricon’s new album). “Liberation del’ame” liberates itself from its predecessor’s frosty reception by dishing out trademark blasts and the-not-so-surprising Black Metal snarls drowned in awful production. “Ruine” is another epic (as most songs here are in the eight to ten minute range) going nowhere in particular and droning forever. The band pulls off a huge surprise with the instrumental overture that’s “La Troublante Danse du Pendu” which comes off as the soundtrack to a burning city. Now this part is really spine tingling. A Wagnerian segment of epic proportions, sounding this album’s death knell, preparing the listener for the final, agonizing gasp. It arcs and crecendoes and soars only to end, giving way to “Ungeziefer.” The title track forms the longest bend in the road towards the close of this aural journey. Tragic and glum as usual, it effin’ drags; imagine your great-great-grandfather getting out of bed and trying to reach the toilet. To its credit, the whole album’s atmosphere and ambience is just right. This is really stuff for a select few because humans aren’t made to stomach this downpour of melancholy. If you want something to accompany your shittiest mood, pop this demon into your player. Otherwise dig a hole somewhere and bury it, nobody’s gonna complain.

Miguel Miranda
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dead Man
Soldier

PostSubject: Re: CENDRES- Ungeziefer demok7   Thu 29 May - 21:57

Taken from http://necrocrypteternal.blogspot.fr

Cendres hail from France. It is unknown who the members are and if they are involved in other bands. Frankly, this matters very little. This is their sole release to date: 5 songs and ~30 minutes of fascinating black metal. "Ungeziefer" is, of course, that deliciously ambiguous word that Kafka used to describe the creature Gregor Samsa turns into.

The word 'hypnotic' is casually thrown around to describe any number of Burzum clones writing long, plodding compositions that go nowhere and ultimately leave no impression on the listener due to their extreme blandness. Similarly, just about any idiot with a cheap microphone and even cheaper ideas can record a 'lo-fi' black metal cassette, obscuring his lack of creativity with layer upon layer of fuzz.

Cendres fall into no such traps. On the surface, the songs do not seem like much. They are repetitive and noisy, ugly and off-putting. But make the effort to listen beneath the funereal fog of tape hiss and Ungeziefer will reward you. Appreciating this album takes time, patience, and repeated listens. Every so often, you will notice a flash of brilliance, a stretch of a few seconds evoking a sense of profound otherworldliness, buried deep beneath the murk. It then disappears just as quickly as it arose. You can't be sure if what you heard and felt was merely imagined, but its impression remains shackled in your mind. It becomes increasingly clear that this tape is more than what it seems. You will feel compelled to go back, to listen again, to try to find out what the hell is going on with this music. That is Cendres' true hypnotic power.

I will refrain from revealing too many of Ungeziefer's secrets. Its hidden meanings are that much more satisfying when they are stumbled upon on one's own. But I will leave you with a place to start: endure the monotonous blasting of the second track, "Libération de l'âme," until its final third comes around. Your initiation into Cendres' entrancing atmosphere begins there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dead Man
Soldier

PostSubject: Re: CENDRES- Ungeziefer demok7   Thu 29 May - 22:00

Taken from http://www.metal-archives.com

A Violent Spectre Screaming From Darkness - 75% : To start off, for those interested in foggy, lo-fi black metal releases, this release will more than wet your appetite in spades. Cendres is distorted, dissonant, ugly, and spectre-like compositionally and in production value. Guitar riffs are thick blankets of meditative atonality; often, there are maybe a maximum of three riffs per song (if you're lucky), developing like a basic organism. Drums are minimalistic, repetitive in beat structure, and buried just enough to be heard as a pulsating rumble. Vocals are usually buried in the mix. When audible, however, one can make out distorted and sometimes heavily echoic shrieks and wails of supposed alienation. Production is murky with huge amounts of tape compression and surface noise that comes off upon first impression as an artistic choice rather than an amateurish misstep.

The exception to these rules shines in the surprisingly melodic instrumental "La Troublante Danse du Pendu". The aforementioned track, production-wise, is also the clearest on this release. A hint of possible synthwork can even be heard if one stays engaged long enough.

While there are plenty of other bands operating under these aesthetics, Cendres' music manages to create a truly engaging hypnotic effect that has enough value for repeated listens. For those of you with long attention spans and lots of patience who enjoy incredibly dissonant ambient black metal, this will be worth checking out. Standout tracks are "Ruine", "La Troublante Danse du Pendu", and "Libération de L'âme".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dead Man
Soldier

PostSubject: Re: CENDRES- Ungeziefer demok7   Thu 29 May - 22:02

Taken from http://northernisolation.wordpress.com

Thursday was Bastille Day so in honor of the Republic of France, I give you some really obscure French black metal who apparently are a big mystery. All all anyone seems to know about Cendres is that they’re signed to one of the premier French BM labels and this demo tape is their only release. The French have a tendency to use poor recording techniques as the cornerstone of their ambiance, which is certainly the case here. Unlike some of their labelmates (Torgeist, I’m looking at you), this band backs up that shit-ambiance with repetition and growly undecipherable lyrics that are mixed just even with everything else. Just to throw in a healthy dose of “what the fuck” factor, they also throw in some effeminate wailing and clean vocals that are hardly in the mix at all. Mix all of this together with that non-discript cover art and you have a generally unnerving release from the dominant force in BM today. Good job, France. Joyeux Quatorze Juillet!

5/5
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dead Man
Soldier

PostSubject: Re: CENDRES- Ungeziefer demok7   Thu 29 May - 22:09

Taken from http://subjectedtometal.blogspot.fr

Today we look at the mysterious Cendres. In an age when information is almost always available about everything I find nothing about who is involved with Cendres. It's 2013 as I review this and since 2007 nothing is known, I have the utmost respect for this. It is quite a challenge to maintain for an extended period of time. The tape is dubbed, but with a pro-printed booklet which bears the cover above and has the track listing inside along with a thanks to Drakkar. That is it. I find this unfortunate because with an artistic piece of this level I wish there was more art to the booklet. I feel it would only bring the listener deeper into the world of Cendres, but the cover is an excellent choice to represent the type of music the listener is about to be subjected to.

Cendres is definetly a strange piece of musical art and I will be the first to admit it is not for everyone. First off Cendres is extremely minimalistic in it's composition. The goal, I believe, is to create a very hypnotic or trance like state of mind while listening to this. Every song has only one or two riffs, sort of a similar idea to the other very good French project Edicius. The major difference here is that Cendres doesn't play with the dynamical variations of a single riff, Cendres insteads lulls the listener into a calm and contemplative state while being subjected to various terrifying elements. Some of the guitar riffining can take on the dissonant style of the Blut aus Nord's "Mort". While I wasn't as into "Mort", Cendres application of the style is absolutely magnificent. The vocals come in your standard Black Metal style but at other times there are very haunting wails scattered throughout the music. It really blends and brings the listener into the depths of Cendres world. Finally the album closes with a haunting and beautiful clean guitar section, which ends the experience on such a perfect note.

The production is actually perfect for what this demo is trying to capture. Things feel extremely dense, while also being somewhat harsh. The music seems to be recorded just well enough and you can honestly hear everything you need to hear. The overall density in the production gives the listener a feeling of being crushed under waves as you journey through this recording.

As you can tell I highly recommend checking this out. It's been a few years since this tape came into existence and I worry that the project will see nothing else and part of me is okay with this. I feel like Cendres coming out of the shadows and then fading into obscurity is exactly how this project should be, but on the other hand I would really love to hear more music from this project.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dead Man
Soldier

PostSubject: Re: CENDRES- Ungeziefer demok7   Thu 27 Aug - 21:08

Taken from  http://www.servileinsurrection.com/

Cendres is a mysterious black metal band from France that has so far released only one demo called Ungeziefer. That was eight years ago. The band is mysterious and so is their demo. What is that thing on the cover? It looks like an alien mummy. Well, none of that really matters because the music is excellent.

The production is cold and cloudy. It sounds similar to bands like Xasthur, but the music on this demo is slightly more audible. It makes you feel like you're exploring a series of dark catacombs that were forgotten long ago. As for the music itself, this band is so mysterious I don't even know how many members play in it. Cendres could be a one-man act for all I care. If it is a one-man act, then I must say I'm quite impressed with his performance. The blast beats are extremely primitive, but that's really all that's needed. The snare sounds like a rapid heart beat. Sometimes they'll slow things down and play some mid-paced rhythms that feature the soft rumble of double bass.

The vocals consist of an angry rasp that is shrouded in distortion and reverb. They perfectly express centuries of pent-up hate. There are also times when they perform these weird clean vocals that sound like they were made by a sad specter. I don't know what that was about. I guess they were going for that whole unsettling feeling. The guitars are the best part. They play a bunch of tremolo riffs that feature cloudy distortion and an ominous tone and structure. Some of these riffs last a while, but they don't feel boring. Instead, they take on this dark hypnotic quality. Sometimes the riffs sound evil and other times they exhibit cold melodies.

This little demo was amazing. It's dark, it's mysterious, it's cold, and it's just plain great black metal. Hopefully they'll release new material at some point in the next few years.
Share on Tumblr
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dead Man
Soldier

PostSubject: Re: CENDRES- Ungeziefer demok7   Fri 18 Sep - 19:39

Taken from http://exile-network.de

Ungemütlichen Black Metal gibt es gerade aus Frankreich ja jede Menge. 2007 haben Cendres mit ihrer einzigen Demo „Ungeziefer“ die Auswahl in dieser Hinsicht noch etwas erweitert und allein der Titel ist hervorragend genug, um sich mit der Demo weiter zu befassen. Was einen hier erwartet, ist eine verdammt bedrückende Kellerproduktion. Monotone, manchmal etwas dissonante aber eigentlich dauerhaft beängstigend dichte Riffs paaren sich hier mit noch viel beängstigenderen Vocals. Erst Schreie, dann eine Art Heulen, dann wieder Schreie. Was hier passiert, scheint wie aus einer anderen Welt. So vollkommen entrückt und unangenehm, dass man sich den Hörzeitpunkt lieber sorgfältig aussuchen sollte. Cendres liefern hier einen Soundtrack zu wirklich vollständiger Dunkelheit, zu Unwohlsein und Verzweiflung.
Vermutlich ist dieses Demotape bei Noise- und Black Ambient-Hörern sogar besser aufgehoben, als bei den meisten Black Metal Hörern. Die raue Produktion geleitet die Gitarren sowieso in eine lärmige Geräuschkulisse, die an den meisten Stellen nur noch schwer in Riffs zu unterscheiden ist. Wer interessiert ist, sollte dieses Demo durchaus noch auf den gewohnten Wegen auftreiben können.
Delirium [Jonas B.]

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CENDRES- Ungeziefer demok7   

Back to top Go down

CENDRES- Ungeziefer demok7
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DRAKKAR PRODUCTIONS :: Reviews and interviews :: Reviews in English-
Jump to: